Caledonia Jazz Band is one of Norway’s most resilient New Orleans band combines deep knowledge of tradition with creative innovation. The band’s repertoire is grounded in the New Orleans jazz taught by the ancient tradition bearers and inspired by calypso and R & B. The music is conveyed with sparkling enthusiasm and responsive musicianship. Through countless gigs and tours at home and abroad, as well as five critically acclaimed albums, Caledonia Jazz Band won a large and loyal audience. Original compositions by the band’s clarinetist Carl Petter Opsahl has always been an important part of the band’s repertoire. The band’s latest release, «Street People» (2009), the eight tracks signed him, and the rest are French songs identified and sung by guitarist and singer Eyvind Ellingsen. Since its inception in 1982, the band only had two replacements in the herd. Newest band member is bassist Ellen Brekken that many will recognize from the band Hedvig Mollestad Trio.
Caledonia Jazz Band has played at some of the biggest jazz festivals at home and abroad, including several times at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, Molde International Jazz Festival and the Oslo Jazz Festival. Over the years the band has also collaborated with several star New Orleans musicians such as trumpeter Wendell Brunious and singer Marva Wright.
Carl Petter Opsahl (clarinet)
Eystein C. Husebye (trombone/perc)
Eyvind Ellingsen (guitar / vocals)
Haakon Gjesvik (piano)
Ellen Brekken (bass)
Bjoern Olufsen (drums)
1. Moods of New Orleans with trumpet player Wendell Brunious, New Orleans (Hot Club Records, 1986)
2. Walkin’ with Wendell Brunious (Hot Club Records, 1987)
3. Is it you or is you ain’t with trupet player Norbert Susemihl and percussion player Celio de Carvalho (Hot Club Records, 1991)
4. Creole nights with trumpet player Geoff Bull (Hot Club Records, 1997)
5. Street People (Hot Club Records, 2009)